Planning for an equipment move...

From: Megan <mbg_at_world.std.com>
Date: Sat Mar 13 09:35:48 1999

Well, the day has come... next weekend is when I've arranged to go
and get the pdp-8s and the pdp-11/34 that I've been making room for
at home...

In preparation of the move, I just wanted to ask the list for some
advice on how to transport so as to have no (or minimum) risk of
damage.

The machines are currently in two tall (6') and one medium (about 4')
racks. There is a minimum of cabling between the racks, so separating
them should not be a problem. I'm planning on marking any such cables
so they can be restored.

Obviously, the RL disks will have heads locked down. The other disks
are Diablo (RK05 equivalents), so how do I lock those down?

Since I don't have a class two license, I can't get a truck with a
lift gate, so I was planning on unloaded all the boxes from the racks
(CPU, disks, anything else) and placing them on shipping pads, the
disks with foam pads underneath. I was planning on tipping the racks
over onto dollies to be wheeled up the ramp into the truck where they
would travel on their sides, on mats.

One thing I learned from boating -- If something can possibly end up on
the deck en route, *put it there* before casting off...

Also, in order to make some room, I'm getting rid of a few things
and wanted to offer them to people on the list. What I have to get
rid of are two 11/05 chassis, with power supplies, unknown state (I
got them from someone else in that state), and one 11/10 chassis,
also in unknown state. They are pretty heavy, so I'm not up to
lugging them somewhere for shipment. Also, since they are unknown
state, it might be best for someone local to Framingham, Mass to
pick them up if interested.

Finally, if anyone is interested in helping in the move to experience
the procedure of moving old iron (hows that for a "fence-painting
come-on"?), please contact me off-list...

                                        Megan Gentry
                                        Former RT-11 Developer

| Megan Gentry, EMT/B, PP-ASEL | Internet (work): gentry!zk3.dec.com |
| Unix Support Engineering Group | (home): mbg!world.std.com |
| Compaq Computer Corporation | addresses need '_at_' in place of '!' |
| 110 Spitbrook Rd. ZK03-2/T43 | URL: http://world.std.com/~mbg/ |
| Nashua, NH 03062 | "pdp-11 programmer - some assembler |
| (603) 884 1055 | required." - mbg |