Got a question....PDP? VAX?

From: Lawrence Walker <lwalker_at_mail.interlog.com>
Date: Sun Mar 14 03:46:34 1999

On 13 Mar 99 at 1:11, Buck Savage wrote:

> Larry:
>
> Given your start in computing in the mid-fifties, you must now be
> in your mid-sixties. I was one who started in the early 70's (as
> early as my 12-th year) and am now 41. The machine was
> an IBM 370/155 with 1MB of main memory, and the language was
> APL (APL*PLUS from Scientific Time Sharing).

 Pretty close, I'll begin my 63rd year this summer. I never spent any great
length of time on computers untill the early 80s and then the late 80s till
now. Being closer to it ,you've likely seen much more computing than I.
 I did use a slide-rule at college tho. :^))

> Well, it is true that the machines of the 50's were the so called
> Unit Record devices and the low quality mainframes of the day,
> like the 7090, the 1620 (if I get the numbering correct) and the
> 1401 (all of IBM fame). I had the privilege of working with such
> Unit Record devices, and even to have programmed a few of the
> old style plug boards.
>
> I am greatful that those days are over!
>
> William R. Buckley

 Actually, I got a kick out of wiring up plug boards. Tangible logic.
Why I prefer Hardware over Software.

ciao larry
lwalker_at_interlog.com