TSR-80 model 4

From: Ward D. Griffiths III <gram_at_cnct.com>
Date: Sun Mar 14 17:16:23 1999

On Sun, 14 Mar 1999, bluoval wrote:

> Does anyone know what this computer goes for? When i start it up, the
> screen is full of strange characters. I hit the orange button and then
> the drive lights go on and the bottom drive light stays on. The prompt
> is: Diskette?
> I don't have any disks for it. I just picked it up yesterday. What's
> wrong with it? How can i fix it? does anyone have any disks for it?

What you see is normal behavior for a Model 4. If it has a disk
controller, it expects to find an operating system disk to boot
from. However, if you hold down the [BREAK] key and cycle the
orange button, it will boot into Model III ROM BASIC. Believe it
or not, you can still probably get OS disks by special order from
your local Radio Shack (though the staff may not know the machine
ever existed). You can also get images to create Model 4 disks in
a PC disk drive from Tim Mann's web page.
http://www.research.digital.com/src/personal/Tim_Mann/trs80.html

--
Ward Griffiths
"the timid die just like the daring; and if you don't take the plunge then