classic operating systems

From: David C. Jenner <djenner_at_halcyon.com>
Date: Sun Mar 14 20:11:16 1999

Yup, the $100 license gives you rights to any AT&T PDP-11/16-bit Unix as
well as AT&T Unix 32V. This, combined with Berkeley's liberal license
gets you rights to any BSD Unix, be it 2.x BSD or 4.x BSD for the VAX, etc.
The PDP-11 archive CD-ROM is about $5, and you can get the complete Berkeley
archive (less 2.11 BSD, but everything else) for $100. You might be able to
get the 4.x BSD software elsewhere for less, but you still have to have the
Ancient Unix license or be covered by another AT&T license to get the source
code.

The only thing you can't get is anything beyond System III (i.e., System III
is included), or anything that has another party's (other than Berkeley's)
intellectual rights integrated unless that additional party also gives you a
license. For example, you probably can't get source code to any version of
Xenix because Microsoft and SCO aren't likely to release it.

Dave