old versions of Irix

From: Seth J. Morabito <sethm_at_loomcom.com>
Date: Thu Mar 18 17:23:27 1999

> What-cha talkin' about, willis?
>
> We're usually flooded with SGI cdroms every year here at work. If you
> dont need a code or license file of some sort, then I dont see what
> the problem would be.
>
> The only reason we keep em around, is in case we ever need some
> cdrom jewel cases.
>
> Of course, i'm talking relatively newer media, such as for the
> Indy or indigo2 or O2 systems.

Maybe it's just me, but...

I recently got an Indigo2 Extreme (fairly newish -- sorry, not
really classic), and I've been looking high and low for IRIX 6.5.
SGI is no help -- their sales department, bless their hearts, want
me to shell out $600 just for the media. Other than that, it seems
to be INCREDIBLY hard to come by. I even have a few friends who work
at SGI, and they tell me the best they can do is sneak me some media
for 6.2 (without the free development libraries and headers... they
can't find those, they're a seperate disc!)

Waaaaugh, I bought the hardware, why won't they give me the
software? :)

So, I'd have to say that IRIX is a pretty rare and hard to come
by beast. Heck, I've even seen a few (very few) people selling
ancient copies of IRIX 5.3 for over $100. Kinda silly if you ask me.
Hopefully SGI will change this in the near future, because I'm a real
fan of their stuff, and I'm so weird that I actually really LIKE IRIX
as an OS.

> -Lawrence LeMay

-Seth
--
"You know, if there's one thing more destructive           Seth J. Morabito
 than a hydrogen bomb, it's a hydrogen bomb strapped       sethm_at_loomcom.com