HP phone numbers...

From: Jay West <jlwest_at_tseinc.com>
Date: Tue Mar 23 13:52:59 1999

Here's some handy phone numbers...

HP Service Parts Identification: 916-783-0804
I don't know for sure if this number is for public dissemination, but I know
they don't ask for a reseller number or anything when you call. They can
identify part numbers for you, cross reference part numbers, etc. Generally
they can also translate mfg. part numbers to replacement (refurb, etc.) part
numbers too. You can get some info just via touch tones, but eventually you
can get a real human to look things up for you. This number even has
selections for the 1000 series, test and measurement, medical, etc...

HP Direct: 800-227-8164
This number is for ordering ANY hp parts. They ask for a reseller number,
but this is only to determine discount levels. They will sell to the general
public (those without a reseller number) but only at list price. So - this
number is definitely "open to the public" as long as you don't mind paying
list.

Generally when a product is discontinued HP clears the shelves and trashes
anything past the EOS (end of support) date. However, when you call HP
Direct if the product is not stocked and no longer made, I suggest you ask
them for the number for FRD. This is their division which handles
remanufactured gear (I don't have the number with me at the moment). They
might have that 1972 widget on a shelf... :)

There is also a strictly touch tone part ID phone number which I used to
have but lost. One of these days I'll ask another CE for it. You punch in
the part number and a recording tells you what the product is, what major
assembly it goes with, updated (replacement) part numbers, etc. Anyone have
this?

Finally, if anyone needs a really tough HP part number tracked down, just
let me know. I can get access indirectly to the HP internal parts database
(PAL) which has every part HP ever made in it. I even tested it out with a
dust cover plug from an HP41C calculator and it brought it right up. I don't
want to abuse this route with my contact - but if anyone needs that on rare
occasion feel free to contact me.

Cheers!

Jay West