Seller's market

From: Richard Erlacher <edick_at_idcomm.com>
Date: Sat Mar 27 09:28:14 1999

The information I got from eBay's site suggests that only 70% of the
auctions which are completed result in actual sales. What I get from this
is that nearly one in three auctions which result in a fee to eBay don't
result in a sale for the seller.

I would say that the items with "ridiculous" initial prices are not included
in this figure. That situation seems quite plausible to me, as there is no
means availailable for "forcing" a sale. The fact that someone bids doesn't
obligate them in any real way, nor does the fact that someone lists an item
for sale obligate them to sell it if the price isn't sufficient.

It seems quite plausible to me that an individual might overbid on an item
in order to "queer" the auction, running the price up to where no one would
pay that amount, irrespective of the value of the item being sold. This is
no different than publishins software with a virus, or spraying graffitti on
someone else's building. There's really no penalty.

Dick