followup: Rinky dink hamfest

From: Joe <rigdonj_at_intellistar.net>
Date: Mon Mar 29 11:25:05 1999

At 08:40 AM 3/29/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Joe, CP/M-80 is 2.2,

  I looked throgh the XEROX manuals last night. There's a separate manual
for 2.2, CPM-80 and CPM 86 and MS-DOS 2. 2.2 is the oldest in this bunch.

> and real computers don't need more than 64K...

  Yeah I know but 128K is nice to have.

>The 820, at least the later ones, used big 984K discs. I hardly ever ran
>out of space. There was an 8 meg rigid drive available too, but I neever
>filled that up either. WordStar on the 820 just grinds along, and works
>very satisfyingly.

  I got new manaul and 8" disk with WS 3.3. Also D-Base II and some other
stuff.

> At least 3 word processing packages were avialable
>plus business graphics, multiplan, quite a few programming languages.
>XWP wasn't so great, apparently a primitive WordStar, WordStar was superb
>if cryptic, and there was another nice one, a bit glitzy and modern for
>my taste, but put WordPerfect to shame, but hey, even a blank screen does
>that. Don Maislin may remember the name, he likes that particular
>programme. Ran very well on 5-1/4 inch drives.
>
>There was a memory expansion available for the 16/8, but I've never seen it.
>The DEM-II is interesting because the card rack is very like the NEC APC-II.
>
>Incidentally, Hyperion's DOS 1.25 runs circles around the Xerox DOS 2.0.

   Do you know where I can find a copy of that? Do you still have any of
your XEROXs? I think I have the CPU portion of an 820-II here but no
drives (or the controller/daughter board) and no keyboard. The drives and
keyboard should be a problem but the controller is.

    Joe