followup: Rinky dink hamfest

From: Merle K. Peirce <at258_at_osfn.org>
Date: Mon Mar 29 07:40:53 1999

Joe, CP/M-80 is 2.2, and real computers don't need more than 64K...

The 820, at least the later ones, used big 984K discs. I hardly ever ran
out of space. There was an 8 meg rigid drive available too, but I neever
filled that up either. WordStar on the 820 just grinds along, and works
very satisfyingly. At least 3 word processing packages were avialable
plus business graphics, multiplan, quite a few programming languages.
XWP wasn't so great, apparently a primitive WordStar, WordStar was superb
if cryptic, and there was another nice one, a bit glitzy and modern for
my taste, but put WordPerfect to shame, but hey, even a blank screen does
that. Don Maislin may remember the name, he likes that particular
programme. Ran very well on 5-1/4 inch drives.

There was a memory expansion available for the 16/8, but I've never seen it.
The DEM-II is interesting because the card rack is very like the NEC APC-II.

Incidentally, Hyperion's DOS 1.25 runs circles around the Xerox DOS 2.0.