Rebirth of IMSAI

From: Allison J Parent <allisonp_at_world.std.com>
Date: Mon Mar 29 18:57:42 1999

<be cross-referenced to the '696 standard signal names. I do hve the 8080
<data in house, but nothing tying it to the S-100 bus pinout or timing.

Someone must have the imsai or altair cpu board schematic on the net.
If not get Bursky's The s100 Bus Handbook.

<One of the reasons the S-100 required such fast memory for its relatively
<slow processors was that you had to operate relatively complex timing
<structures to create proper timing. That's a reason the standard, in my
<considered opinion, killed the S-100 rather than perpetuating it. Intel

No. The 8080 had short timing thats all. Then the later z80s wer faster
and wanted fast (relatively) memory. Bus speed was never a problem and was
good for 10mhz if terminated.

<result of course, was the chaos that results when surplus vendors e.g.
<CompuPro/Godbout (cited here because they were BIG, not because they were

Compupro was one of the closest to 696 early on!

I say this as I likely have more operational and in use S100 hardware than
most.

Allison