IBM 557 Alphabetic Interpreter??

From: Christian Fandt <cfandt_at_netsync.net>
Date: Tue Mar 30 12:07:33 1999

Upon the date 08:44 AM 3/30/99 -0800, James Willing said something like:
>On Tue, 30 Mar 1999, Fred Cisin (XenoSoft) wrote:
>
>> #026 and #029 keypunches, nor the punch outputs of most computers, did
>> NOT print anything on the card.
>
>Ummm... beg to differ. The 029 keypunch that I currently have in my
>collection, and the 026 that I had some years back most assuredly DID have
>the capability to print along the top edge of the card.
>
>Now, I will grant that this feature can be switched off, or not selected
>as an installed option when the unit was orginally ordered... But the
>capability does exist in both units.

I agree that is possible to print on the cards. This is going back to
1972/73 when I was in college but there definitely was printing provided by
the 029 punches we had used. Somewhere I've still got several stacks of my
programs I did for class. (I think I'm nearly down to the bottom of the
pile in the attic of the old house we will have for sale soon. I think I
spied them last Friday as I was digging. Man, what a lot of stuff I had
stashed up there :)

If there was known to be non-printing 029s and 026s, then this indeed was
likely an option as Jim surmises.

Regards, Chris
-- --
Christian Fandt, Electronic/Electrical Historian
Jamestown, NY USA cfandt_at_netsync.net
Member of Antique Wireless Association