PDP-11/34A rebuild project Was: Re: Post-move diary

From: Christian Fandt <cfandt_at_netsync.net>
Date: Tue Mar 30 12:47:14 1999

  -- snip a bunch, because we know what we wrote :) --

>>I have not found an FP11-A tech manual and printset and Cache printset as
>>of yet (hint-hint anybody! :)
>
>I still have a box of printsets to go through as well... it may just
>have that in there... we may both luck out...

I forgot to mention this, and it's important if indeed you do not have the
11/34A assembly printset: the 20-conductor flat ribbon cable polarity is
swapped around when plugged into the prog. console panel. The pin one/blue
stripe side of the ribbon cable is *not* connected to the board connector
pin one. It's correct when plugged into the M7859. I'm assuming cables are
not now connected between the panel board and the box. If they are still
conn. then you'll see what I mean. (Why did DEC do this? Was it because of
a mistake which was not considered important to fix or was it because of
board artwork considerations to make mfg simpler/cheaper?? Doesn't seem
like something DEC would let by.)
  -- snip --

>>If you do not have the 11/34A printsets and KK11-A Cache tech manual
>>please get back to me and I'll give you more P/N's and some details on
>>what goes where based on my system and 11/34A printsets. This can get
>>confusing with just simple, brief statements.
>
>Not for someone who has seen the stuff before... I'm not a guru with
>it, but I recognize what you're talking about...

I'm much less of a guru than anybody as I've never had my hands on *real*
PDP-11 hdwr until last summer/fall. I'm actually in the learning mode but
have done enough fiddling and have about half the resources I need to be
sort of maybe a little knowledgeable. (Is that vague enough?? :) That'll be
proved when I start working with the list for help on getting my own 11/34A
system running.

 -- snip --

>>#4 M9312 (slot A-B), Bootstrap/Terminator;
>
>M9301, but I have an M9312...

What boot ROM numbers have you? Check URL
http://metalab.unc.edu/pub/academic/computer-science/history/pdp-11/hardware
/1144.boot.roms down towards the bottom for the 9312 boot ROM list.
(Really handy Tim!!! Thanks!!)
 -- snip --

>>Incidentally, my system box has several of the module numbers printed on
>>the slot number label strip going across the top of the backside of the
>>slot cage. Yours may if it is indeed an 11/34A box instead of a generic
>>BA11-K.
>
>Yep, it has that strip...

Hmm, this may cinch it that the box is an 11/34A BA11. So, you likely have
a DD11-PK CPU BP.

Let me know what tech mans and printsets you need. Then I'll see what I can
do to copy missing ones for you if indeed I have them. However, I lack
several myself or have apparently too-early versions so may not completly
fill-in your needs.

Regards, Chris
-- --
Christian Fandt, Electronic/Electrical Historian
Jamestown, NY USA cfandt_at_netsync.net
Member of Antique Wireless Association