What do you do with 256k Wang

From: Merle K. Peirce <at258_at_osfn.org>
Date: Wed Mar 31 20:55:20 1999

Hmmm... sounds like an early Wang PC built in an old archiver. The first
Wang PC's were like that. Probably a 4230 or 4230-A monitor? You have
to remember this is essentially an intelligent terminal. You can boot it
and run DOS programmes on it, or use it as a connection to your big VS or
OIS system. The BNC connectors in the back are probably for that.

It's an interesting old machine, and you can do work with it, though it's
definitely not a game or graphics machine.

Ah, I missed the PM-8. Most Wang parts are proprietary. PC and terminal
keyboards are different. It should work just like any old PC, only
better because it has a VS at the other end of the cable. ;)

On Wed, 31 Mar 1999, Fred & Lenny wrote:

> Okay, I own a computer so of course to everyone who doesn't I'm =
> some
> kind of expert (not).
>
> So the other day this guy brings me this 256k Wang, wants me to =
> set
> it up for him. Set up to do what? Alright maybe I may have some old DOS
> stuff a wordprocessor, spreadsheet, hell maybe I even got a pong game =
> still
> laying around. My problem is how do I write to this thing?
>
> Its got one of those old floppy drives with the lever and all (never
> used them I was running a Mac before IBM saw the light). The hard drive =
> is
> from the stone age (is this SCSI compatible?) And the mother of all =
> boards
> with connections for a network possibly? Probably a mainframe Yuk. =
> Anybody
> ever own one of these things? Can anything be salvaged? Is this just an
> overgrown typewriter? How am I going to write to this thing without
> destroying my computer? Help Help Help...
>
> Here's some numbers: cpu 256kb, two PMO30-b 128k Memory expansion, PMO08 =
> c.g.I (monitor controller?), pm02/022-b Winchester controller,Seagate =
> HD, and of course the standard Wang kb and monitor (RGB I think they =
> called them you know green just green). Everything works even has some =
> old data base software still on it.
>
> FrednLenny_at_compuage.com

M. K. Peirce
Rhode Island Computer Museum, Inc.