Dumpster stories!

From: LordTyran <a2k_at_one.net>
Date: Thu Mar 9 21:39:21 2000

> > I can't believe some list members here dive into dumpsters for computers.

Hey, come on, dumpster diving is fun! Most of the time I find nothing, but
the few times that I do, it's all worth it.

AFA hazards, I'm exposed to much more hazardous things daily. Chemical
hazards:

In the darkroom: Hydroquinone (fatal at 1 tsp), acetic acid, sulphuric
acid. When I'm mixing the stop, it's 28% acetic acid. (Same stuff as vinegar,
but what you buy for food is normally about 5%). Cyanide. Bleach. 6 molar
HCl in Chemistry all the time.

Other: Possible interactions and side effects with medications I take
daily. An unexpected athsma attack. Staticmasters (Negative cleaning brush
with radioactive strip embedded in the bottom.) Asbestos fire curtains and
pipe insulations all over my school. Yes, it is cracked and dust falls off
all the time. Why? Because Milford is trash. No one cares.

Not to mention driving, falling down the stairs, choking on the caffinated
peppermints I eat as soon as I wake up... so climbing into a dumpster is
really the least of my worries.

The neatest things I've found (but was unable to take because of size):

Centrifuge (the size of a washing machine)
Non-functioning SEM (!!) [Yes, really a scanning electron microscope]
Associated non-functioning control computers and frame grabber

Kept:
An entire garbage bag full of 3.5" floppies (I'm still going off of that..
about 3 years ago)
Silent 700
Tons of misc. stuff

And so on. But it's really exciting to see what you might find in your
local inconspicuous dumpster!

Kevin