languages (Teachers)

From: Dwight Elvey <elvey_at_hal.com>
Date: Fri Mar 10 15:06:31 2000

sjm <sethm_at_loomcom.com> wrote:
> lazy (everybody has a teacher horror story to tell). But those who
> stand out in my mind were the genuine heros. They were IN to what
> they did. They LOVED the kids. They latched on to us and energized
> us and really taught us. They made us solve problems, they made us
> work together, they made us look forward to their classes every day.
> They had a passion for what they did, and God bless them for it.
>
> I can't think of a more honorable profession.
>
> -Seth

Hi
 While it is true that they would have to love the
kids to work for such low pay and many work vary hard
at what they do, I have myself seen some things that
I have to question. I was once asked by a friend to
help with some math homework. After looking over the
questions, I found that I couldn't answer any of them.
It wasn't that they were too hard, it was that they
were too ambiguous. After some more talking with the
student, I found that these were some of the "don't
make the student feel bad by having the wrong answer"
type questions. They were designed so that almost any
answer could be considered correct.
 The problem of getting more pay has to be balance with
the quality ( not the effort or the desire ) of the
product supplied. I would hate to be a really good
teacher in todays school system. Any effort I made
to actually teach things to the students would be
immediately scorned by the rest of my peers.
IMHO
Dwight