PDP-11 Emulator Question

From: Ethan Dicks <ethan_dicks_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue Mar 14 00:49:49 2000

--- "Zane H. Healy" <healyzh_at_aracnet.com> wrote:

> > Agreed, but I may stick a Linux Router Project kernel on the internal
> > SanDisk and mount stuff via NFS

> One of the links I posted earlier mentions that there are two related Linux
> distro's in the works. One will fit on a 500MB HD, the other will fit on
> the SanDisk.

I'm not worried about stuff not fitting at all - I have been playing with
entire functional distributions that act as dedicated web cams or routers
and the like that fit on a single 1.44Mb floppy. For something requiring
non-local space, it might be nice to mount over a network adapter, slow
or not. I do have a spare 500Mb disk to throw to the effort. It's in that
486/DX4100 flatpanel box I've also got.

As for fitting Linux on a small disk, I used to use a dedicated Linux
router not based on a reduced kernel. It was on a 125Mb disk. No C compiler,
no X, nothing but the kernel and basic networking. I had room left over.
ISTR it was Slackware, vintage 2.0.30 kernel, whatever that works out to be.

-ethan

ObOnTopic - I'm interested in putting up Doug Jones' emulator and running an
emulated PDP-8 on mine.I think it'd be cool to have the blinkenlights
simulated under X and cut to an OS/8 window, all on something that is very
portable. RadioShack sells a generic laptop adapter that some poster some-
where claimed works with the iOpener, but it's $80!

=====
Even though my old e-mail address is no longer going to
vanish, please note my new public address: erd_at_iname.com

The original webpage address is still going away. The
permanent home is: http://penguincentral.com/

See http://ohio.voyager.net/ for details.