Brand new used C-64 PC

From: Cameron Kaiser <ckaiser_at_oa.ptloma.edu>
Date: Wed Mar 15 11:49:09 2000

::I had thought so also, and was looking for it a few months ago but couldn't
::find it. If anyone knows anything about this, I'd love to hear about it.
::Actually what I was really looking for IIRC, was info on a Web browser for
::the C64, which ISTR existing.

There are actually two in development. "The Wave"

http://people.delphi.com/arca93/

is the first. It requires mucho hardware (you need a SuperCPU with minimum
1MB RAM plus the Wheels OS) but supports true PPP and includes a full stack
and standard Internet services with all the trimmings. It has been finished
and is being disseminated to testers.

The second I know considerably better because *I'm* the author.

http://www.armory.com/~spectre/cwi/hl/web.html

HyperLink 2.5 supports most of HTML 1.0 and displays black-and-white .jpgs
and .gifs (I believe The Wave does this in colour, but you need a tricked-out
128 in VDC mode to do it). It doesn't need CPU acceleration; you run a Perl
proxy on a shell account (hence a shell dialup is mandatory) which handles
the image and HTML translation, spitting out directives to the HL2.5 markup
engine. This means it will run on any Commodore, and can go as low as 1200bps
(I think the low end for The Wave is 9.6k but I don't know). I expect to get
it in a releaseable form by early summer this year.

The bottom line is that HL2.5 is intended for Commodore users who can't or
won't upgrade, and The Wave for the big league systems. Maurice Randall,
the author of The Wave, has already stated he will not release a stock system
version; as for my part, I don't have an SCPU, so I won't be writing a
*non*-stock app myself. :-)

     Cameron Kaiser * Point Loma Nazarene University * ckaiser_at_ptloma.edu
-- If a seagull flies over the sea, what flies over the bay? ------------------