Apollo 735 is ALIVE

From: Carlos Murillo <cem14_at_cornell.edu>
Date: Wed Mar 15 23:35:36 2000

At 08:44 PM 03/15/2000 -0800, you wrote:
>I just finished my first pass through running each of the four systems.
>
>Apollo 735
>80 MB ram, 203H processor, fails to find file HP-UX

This sounds like a nice system to set up and put to good use.

>Mentor Graphics series 700 / 720
>32 MB ram, gets stuck when trying to boot (bad drive?)
>Mentor Graphics 715t/50
>56 MB ram, boots into hp-ux, then immediately gripes about something
>missing, gives a return code of 256 and dumps memory to the hard drive
>(will repeat endlessly too).

Oh, yes, Mentor Graphics did these with the early hp 700's; better to
reinstall the OS. I had the boot- hpux - panic - shutdown - reboot
problem too... this can happen in a system that was networked, w/o
enough local space for a kernel core dump and which finds itself suddenly
off the network.

>HP 400t
>Aaaack, this poor old baby almost seems to boot, but the A1416A graphics
>board isn't syncing with my HP 1097C monitor (anybody know the dip switch
>settings for 72 hz?) or will it just not work with a 1097C?

Now, this is an entirely different beast. This is probably a 68040-based
machine. Nice, but slower. Some of these even had a GPIB interface, as
HP was still transitioning from high speed GPIB storage to SCSI. Don't
wipe out any libraries off such a machine!

As for the monitor, 1097's are for later, 700-series machines. Whatever
card you have in the 400t is probably 60Hz. Look at the following;
there may be some info.

http://fatmac.ee.cornell.edu/hp300/

Carlos.