OT: DSL and Apple Network Servers

From: Mike Ford <mikeford_at_socal.rr.com>
Date: Tue Mar 21 14:22:47 2000

>I finally tracked down a source of upgrades for my Apple Network Server 500.
>It will shortly be upgraded to 80MB RAM, and I'm mulling over buying a new
>processor card for it ($200! cough). MacWorks has some stuff in stock. So,
>with this buff discontinued box, I'm thinking of getting it a DSL line to
>boot.
>But I can't find a straight answer if all DSL services give you a static IP
>address or not. Do they? And should most of them work with AIX 4.1.4? I would
>think so, since it's just a DSL router and the ANS500 plugs into that like
>any other network.

No to both, some give static, most want to give you dynamic, but it depends
entirely on who the provider is. Some have software that only runs on
fairly recent OS releases, so you would have to setup and run admin type
stuff on a newer machine.

What "is" a network server 500, and what is the upgrade (very unlikely to
be worth $200)?