OT: DSL and Apple Network Servers

From: Cameron Kaiser <ckaiser_at_oa.ptloma.edu>
Date: Tue Mar 21 15:23:00 2000

::No to both, some give static, most want to give you dynamic, but it depends
::entirely on who the provider is. Some have software that only runs on
::fairly recent OS releases, so you would have to setup and run admin type
::stuff on a newer machine.

Pac Bell is the local provider for me. Does anyone have experience with
their DSL service? A friend of mine got his with static IP and connected
his Linux network to it without comment from them but OTOH he has the
maxxed-out-all-bells-and-whistles-beaucoup-bucks commercial setup. GTE is
also in this area but I know nothing of their service at all.

I tried looking at Covad this morning but their database server is on
the blink and won't let me get information on local providers.

::What "is" a network server 500, and what is the upgrade (very unlikely to
::be worth $200)?

A Network Server 500 is one of Apple's two ill-fated Unix server models.
The 500 is a 132MHz 604e and the 700 is a 150MHz. They both run AIX 4.1.4.0
but people have been working on LinuxPPC for them. Mine runs AIX since I
remain leery of Linux on the ANS because of the incompatibilities in earlier
versions. My unit also has 32MB RAM (soon to be 80), 4x CD, DDS-2 tape backup
and a 2GB HD that I may or may not upgrade (it's just me using it and I
don't store much on the system).

Apple dropped the line like a hot potato. A shame, since I love this thing,
and everyone else I know with an ANS loves theirs too.

The processor board upgrade is a 604e/200 (not the CPU itself but the entire
board and supporting hardware). I don't think it's worth $200 either but
that's what they're selling it for and I can't find one anywhere else. I'm
not sure if I can just rip the 604e/132 off the board and put in a /200,
though.

     Cameron Kaiser * Point Loma Nazarene University * ckaiser_at_ptloma.edu
-- Neckties strangle clear thinking. -- Lin Yutang ----------------------------