Spartan emulator

From: Ethan Dicks <ethan_dicks_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue Mar 21 18:51:09 2000

--- Mark Gregory <mgregory_at_vantageresearch.com> wrote:
> I don't know how they got there, but I remember seeing a large pile of
> these Spartans at Active Surplus, on Queen Street in Toronto (well-known to
> any Hogtown hackers) in late '88 or '89. Given Active's inventory policy
> ("If you don't buy it, we'll leave it lying around") they may still be
> there.

If anyone researches this, please let me know.

> From: Cameron Kaiser <ckaiser_at_oa.ptloma.edu>
> To: classiccmp_at_classiccmp.org <classiccmp_at_classiccmp.org>
> Date: Tuesday, March 21, 2000 4:48 PM
> Subject: Re: Apple Network Servers
>

> > I'm also particulary impressed with the Spartan page on your site (for
> > those in the dark, this was a hardware add-on for the Commodore 64 that
> > turned it into an Apple II):

I was a beta tester for the Spartan in 1985. Somewhere I've still got my
contract with them (all I could find on a casual search of my bookshelves
is a copy of the docs). I have the case for one in the basement; I forget
what happened to the mainboard. I think it died, or else I wouldn't have
stripped the supply for another project.

During my testing, I remember running Enchanter on the Apple CPU and Sorcerer
on the C-64 CPU, typing a command on one, switching to the other and typing
a command there to multi-task the games (since the disks were so slow).

Interesting concept, but about 50% the cost of a real Apple. If they ever
sold any, it would have been to some serious die-hards. Mostly back then,
Apple guys and Commodore guys didn't mix much. Kinda like Atari guys and
everybody else. :-)

-ethan

=====
Even though my old e-mail address is no longer going to
vanish, please note my new public address: erd_at_iname.com

The original webpage address is still going away. The
permanent home is: http://penguincentral.com/

See http://ohio.voyager.net/ for details.