Are you sure the 6550 is dead? (was: Mos Technology RAM wanted)

From: Ethan Dicks <ethan_dicks_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue Mar 21 18:53:51 2000

--- Pete Turnbull <pete_at_dunnington.u-net.com> wrote:
> On Mar 21, 21:48, Tony Duell wrote:
> > > else, long before I posted my request. I could fix about anything
> else on
> > > the PET, but I draw the line at grinding the top off to poke at
> individual
> > > flip-flops in an IC :-) FWIW, the first job I had in
> >
> > Really, kids these days.....
>
> Well, I once ripped the metal lids off a few ceramic DRAMs to use them as
> optical image sensors (ISTR an article in BYTE, I think it was, years ago
> about that)

Yes! I just repacked my lidless 4116 chips. I only ever got as far as
cementing slide-mount covers on one and sticking it in an Apple II at the
top of RAM and demonstrating the effect by clearing video RAM then lifting
the lid. Many bits sparkled in when light shone on the chip.

Now that I have a digital camera, I'll have to take pictures (as soon as I
buy/find/make a Mac crossover cable to connect a QuickTake 150 to my Mac).

-ethan

=====
Even though my old e-mail address is no longer going to
vanish, please note my new public address: erd_at_iname.com

The original webpage address is still going away. The
permanent home is: http://penguincentral.com/

See http://ohio.voyager.net/ for details.