Aaaaahhhh... 'Tis Good to be Back!!!

From: Roger Merchberger <zmerch_at_30below.com>
Date: Tue Mar 21 21:56:08 2000

Rumor has it that Zane H. Healy may have mentioned these words:

>Welcome back!

Thanks!

>A VAX with more than 16MB, I'm green! Actually I should finally be getting
>one with more than 16MB one of these days soon.

I *think* I've got enough other boards to populate the others with 16Meg,
but I'm not quite sure... My tough parts are hard drives... I've only got
2, an RZ24L & an RZ25. Are there utilities to make a non-DEC hard drive
work in a VAX? I need to put in an order for a couple of SCSI drives
anyway... and I could get a couple 1 or 2 gig drives at the same time.

>Most cool. BTW, you just need a CD-ROM that has 512-byte blocks. I've got
>an external CD-ROM that I got for my Mac Laptop in '95 that works good.
>I've also simply connected an internal to an internal SCSI cable and power
>on a VS3100/30m long enough to install VMS. I've a feeling OpenVMS 7.2
>will rock on the system with 32MB, as it does pretty good on a 16MB system
>when you leave out DECwindows.

Yea, the CDRom has the "Sector" jumper, so I should be GTG there. I
contemplated hooking the CDRom internal, but I wasn't sure how the VMS
install was going to like that once I remove the rom and reinstall the RZ24
(as the secondary), so I have a 12" or so internal-type cable that will
just reach to the CDROM so I can use the external power supply. (I also
have a few AT supplies I could use to power it as well...)

I do want to see what the box will do with DECwindows... are there any good
spreadsheet/presentation apps for that? Erm... this might be a stretch, but
isn't there a Netscape or Mosaic for that too? (I'm not too interested in
turning the box into a 'net appliance, but mainly just to show people --
"Look! I got Nutscrape to run on this!" I co-own an ISP, and I'd bet that
none of the other ISP's could get that working, so it might make a strange
but helpful bragging point - "We support VAXen!")

>On the DECserver, I'm actually inclined to recommend NetBSD as it's
>doubtful you've got the Y2k version of Ultrix. Beware a standard install
>of NetBSD seems to want well over 500MB of HD space.

I'll be lucky if I have any time before 2001 to tinker with the server... I
have a house to build this year, and what (very) little leisure time I'll
have will prolly be spent puttering with VMS.

I'll post more when I know more - I'm at work (will be for another hour or
so) and all the stuff's at home.

Well, gotta go or I'll *never* get outta here...
Roger "Merch" Merhcberger
--
Roger "Merch" Merchberger   ---   sysadmin, Iceberg Computers
Recycling is good, right???  Ok, so I'll recycle an old .sig.