Aaaaahhhh... 'Tis Good to be Back!!!

From: Zane H. Healy <healyzh_at_aracnet.com>
Date: Wed Mar 22 00:16:17 2000

>I *think* I've got enough other boards to populate the others with 16Meg,
>but I'm not quite sure... My tough parts are hard drives... I've only got
>2, an RZ24L & an RZ25. Are there utilities to make a non-DEC hard drive
>work in a VAX? I need to put in an order for a couple of SCSI drives
>anyway... and I could get a couple 1 or 2 gig drives at the same time.

OpenVMS V7.2 is a lot more forgiving about that than say V5.5, however,
there is no guarentee until you try it. If your best system is a
VAXstation 3100 M38 you're probably limited to 1GB on the *BOOT* disk.

I'm sure this isn't a Truism, but I've *never* had problems with plugging a
SCSI drive from a Mac into a piece of DEC gear.

>I do want to see what the box will do with DECwindows... are there any good
>spreadsheet/presentation apps for that? Erm... this might be a stretch, but

There is at least one spreadsheet'ish app available, though I've no idea
how good it is. No idea on the Presentation apps. For Word Processing
there is DECwrite.

>isn't there a Netscape or Mosaic for that too? (I'm not too interested in
>turning the box into a 'net appliance, but mainly just to show people --
>"Look! I got Nutscrape to run on this!" I co-own an ISP, and I'd bet that
>none of the other ISP's could get that working, so it might make a strange
>but helpful bragging point - "We support VAXen!")

OK, both run, BUT the current version of Netscape is V3.01 :^( I'm not
about to count Mozilla (besides I don't believe it supports VAX), as I've
tried it on my AlphaStation 500/333 and it had major problems (of course a
friend at work showed me it on Linux and it had major problems). Another
problem with Mozilla is it seems to require more than 8-bit colour.

I've no idea how Netscape or Mosaic run on a VAX though, as none of my
VAXen are running DECwindows, and only one is running TCP/IP. For that
matter I think only one of the Alpha's (the AlphaStation 500/333) is
currently running DECwindows.

>>On the DECserver, I'm actually inclined to recommend NetBSD as it's
>>doubtful you've got the Y2k version of Ultrix. Beware a standard install
>>of NetBSD seems to want well over 500MB of HD space.
>
>I'll be lucky if I have any time before 2001 to tinker with the server... I
>have a house to build this year, and what (very) little leisure time I'll
>have will prolly be spent puttering with VMS.

Not as exciting of piece of hardware as a VAX that's for sure. I've had my
pair of 5000/133's for about four months now, and haven't gotten beyond
booting NetBSD on one, and Ultrix on the other (I'll be combining them into
one system running NetBSD).

                                Zane
| Zane H. Healy | UNIX Systems Adminstrator |
| healyzh_at_aracnet.com (primary) | Linux Enthusiast |
| healyzh_at_holonet.net (alternate) | Classic Computer Collector |
| and Zane's Computer Museum. |
| http://www.aracnet.com/~healyzh/ |