Aaaaahhhh... 'Tis Good to be Back!!!

From: Zane H. Healy <healyzh_at_aracnet.com>
Date: Tue Mar 21 20:24:03 2000

>Howdy All!!!
>
>The list disappeared on me on 15 Jan 00, so I had no idea when the list
>switched over (according to the archives, on 27 Jan 00) and since I've been
>busier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest, I've not had a
>chance to research how to get back on the list until now...

Welcome back!

>now) and 3 -- get this 3 - of the 8-plane grafix boards & enough memory
>boards to give one machine a full 32Meg!

A VAX with more than 16MB, I'm green! Actually I should finally be getting
one with more than 16MB one of these days soon.

>I just have to hack in a CDRrom and I'll be able to install VMS, because he
>gave me all of the media for VMS *and* Ultrix, because the DECServer 5000
>(I think... again, I'm at work) is a MIPS box and won't run VMS.... :-) :-)

Most cool. BTW, you just need a CD-ROM that has 512-byte blocks. I've got
an external CD-ROM that I got for my Mac Laptop in '95 that works good.
I've also simply connected an internal to an internal SCSI cable and power
on a VS3100/30m long enough to install VMS. I've a feeling OpenVMS 7.2
will rock on the system with 32MB, as it does pretty good on a 16MB system
when you leave out DECwindows.

On the DECserver, I'm actually inclined to recommend NetBSD as it's
doubtful you've got the Y2k version of Ultrix. Beware a standard install
of NetBSD seems to want well over 500MB of HD space.

                                Zane
| Zane H. Healy | UNIX Systems Adminstrator |
| healyzh_at_aracnet.com (primary) | Linux Enthusiast |
| healyzh_at_holonet.net (alternate) | Classic Computer Collector |
| and Zane's Computer Museum. |
| http://www.aracnet.com/~healyzh/ |