HP 85 Re: IBM 5150, am I nuts or what?

From: Joe <rigdonj_at_intellistar.net>
Date: Wed Mar 22 12:32:37 2000

At 11:06 AM 3/22/00 -0500, John wrote:

>> How about a 5100 (sounded like something I might want to hoard if I see
one)?

>I remember reading an article (in Byte?) about that thing ages ago, it
>sounds like a bigger version of HP's HP-85 only with APL instead of BASIC?
>Anything that strange has *got* to be worth grabbing!

     A 5100 is definitely worth grabbing!

>Speaking of which, has the HP-85 totally disappeared? My dad had one
>briefly when I was in high school, I remember using it to cheat on my calc
>homework and brought in adding machine tapes with the graphs I didn't feel
>like sketching by hand... And there was one in the computer showroom
>on the second floor of the Harvard Coop. But I haven't seen one since.
>IIRC, the BASIC "PRINT" statement *really* meant print, if you wanted the
>display to be on the tiny CRT you had to use something else, "TYPE" maybe?
>The way they stuck the BASIC keywords on single keys (like a ZX81, only you
>didn't have to use them) was crazy, they were scattered all over the place.
>But the combination of a cartridge tape drive, adding machine printer, and
>teeny tiny CRT was kind of neat, each part was low-end crap but if you put
>them all together it was a pretty usable system.

   Nope, there are still lots of HP 85s out there chugging away everyday.
They're still widely used as test equipment controllers. I have about 10
of them here. The great thing about the 85 was that you got a usable
display, keyboard, printer and a mass storage device in one compact unit.
And you could add HP-IB, serial or parallel interfaces, special functions
or more memory just by plugging them into the back. You didn't have to be
a software engineer, hardware engineer or test equipment engineer to set
one up and use it. Their math was also much more accurate than the run of
the mill computer.

    Joe