Memory expansion

From: Bill Pechter <pechter_at_pechter.dyndns.org>
Date: Wed Mar 22 11:49:29 2000

> > Since you're running Sparc's with 64MB, to give you an idea of what I
> > consider acceptable performance, I don't consider Solaris 2.6 acceptable in

I've got a couple of Spar2's (ELC, IPX, Sparcstion2 clone) that could
use more memory. Anyone got a source of SBUS memory expansion for the
latter two. The ELC max's out at 64.

> Speaking of custom RAM, I notice that on diagnostics, the IPX detects 33bit
> vs 36bit parity SIMMs. Are there any performance differences? I only have
> three or four 33bit 16Mb SIMMs. I was just wondering if there were any
> benefit to take these to 36bit. I plan to use the IPX as our primary DNS
> server at work, so enhanced reliability is a benefit.

Interesting... I picked up 4 33 bit SIMMS at a show for $70 and put
'em in an ELC. Works (like a dog) when running CDE. I'd like to try
KDE on it to see how that works with OpenBSD, NetBSD or Linux. (And
I'd go to FreeBSD when they get a Sparc port released).

> -ethan

Bill