Almost free 2-port and 4-port fanouts, IEEE 802.3 compliant, Ethernet Version 1.0 and 2.0 compatible AUIs

From: Eric Smith <eric_at_brouhaha.com>
Date: Wed Mar 22 13:47:36 2000

Pete Turnbull <pete_at_dunnington.u-net.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure these are repeaters, though. So a signal that's sent from a
> station on one of the AUI interfaces would go onto the wire, but I'm not
> sure that it would get back (directly) to the other AUI interface(s).

It had better, or you don't have a functional ethernet, because two of
the nodes can't talk to each other. Also, the nodes have to be in the
same collision domain, so there's not really anything to be saved by
using some wacky scheme where the nodes can't talk to each other.

The only "multiport transceiver" I've ever used was a DELNI, and it
most certainly was in fact a multiport repeater.