I need some PDP-11 RT11 archiving software

From: john b <dylanb_at_sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu Mar 30 11:00:20 2000

-----Original Message-----
From: CLASSICCMP_at_trailing-edge.com <CLASSICCMP_at_trailing-edge.com>
To: classiccmp_at_classiccmp.org <classiccmp_at_classiccmp.org>
Date: Friday, March 31, 2000 12:42 PM
Subject: RE: I need some PDP-11 RT11 archiving software

>>I am spending all my time right now packing and rackmounting - I have no
>>time to write anything. I will have some people come over and feed in the
>>paper tape this weekend. While I won't be able to archive most of it, I do
>>hope to at least read in most of the source code on paper tape. (I have
over
>>310 PDP-1 paper tapes alone).
>>
>>This program needs to be *very* easy to use and hopefully supports
>>X/Y-MODEM. I will set up a terminal program at this end that supports 32
>>character file names (windows 98). This program would have to run under
>>RT11-V3B, or RT11V4 BL. Hopefully it would send the code down a serial
line
>>separate serial port.
>
>Umm, what's wrong with Kermit? The latest Kermit for RT does just fine
under
>RT-11 V4, and Kermit is available for just about every other piece
>of hardware ever created. See ftp://kermit.columbia.edu/
>
>>It would be really nice if this software just asked the end user to load a
>>paper tape, then huit return, and it sends the data read out a separate
>>serial port, then prompts to load the next one.
>
>What sort of paper tape reader are you using? If it's a serial reader,
>you can hook it straight up to a PC-clone running MS-DOS and MS-Kermit
>(or Linux and C-Kermit) and archive the tapes that way. Both MS-Kermit
>and C-Kermit include powerful scripting languages.

PC05 with a PC11 controller.

>Remember, you *don't* have to start from scratch, others of us have
>been archiving this sort of stuff for many years.

I appreciate that. Do you have this archived:

PDP-1 source code.
PDP-11 source code - Dos/Batch-11 , RT11. I also have source code to most of
the packages they released.

If you have this stuff then I won't bother archiving all the source code I
have and pass it on. I did get almost all the source from the original
minicomputers dec knocked out.. alot of it was internal.

john