HLL Computers

From: Frank McConnell <fmc_at_reanimators.org>
Date: Tue Mar 6 01:17:34 2001

"Lee Courtney" <leec_at_slip.net> wrote:
> "Computers in the 1980s" by Turn (1974) also has a brief, but interesting,
> take on HLL hardware.

There are another couple of books I would recommend Scott Guthery
track down:

"Advances in Computer Architecture" by Glenford J. Myers.
There are at least two editions of this book (both published by Wiley):
(1st) 1978, ISBN 0-471-83475-4
(2nd) 1982, ISBN 0-471-07878-6
IIRC, between editions he had moved from IBM to Intel and the 2nd
edition has an additional chapter on the IAPX 432.

"High-Level Language Computer Architecture" edited by Yaohan Chu.
Published by Academic Press, 1975, ISBN 0-12-174150-8.

> Has the SYMBOL machine machine been mentioned? (There's one in on display at
> the Computer Museum History Center in Mtn. View CA.).

One, or part of one?

I'm pretty sure that both of the above books include some discussion
of the SYMBOL machine. Predictably, I don't have either at hand to
look; they're both in storage and storage is a mess right now.

-Frank McConnell