Mac SE30

From: Cameron Kaiser <spectre_at_stockholm.ptloma.edu>
Date: Thu Mar 8 08:53:32 2001

> I picked up a Mac SE30 that someone was chucking. It has no keyboard or
> mouse, but powers up and goes into MacOS. I'd like to find a keyboard and
> mouse for this.
>
> Also, when it booted, it seems to have some sort of password protection on
> it. A small dialogue box came up that said "Please enter password for
> Macinto". I don't know if the utility was called "Macinto", but it looks
> like perhaps the title bar wasn't big enough to fully display "Macintosh".
> At the very least, I'd like to be able to run OpenBSD on it...

Weird. Do you have a Disk Tools disk for it? You can boot off a floppy and
circumvent that, it sounds like a weird INIT or Extension. What version of
MacOS does it look like?

SE/30s use regular old ADB mice and keyboards. Every swap meet has nine
billion of them, but CompUSA still sells new ADB mice and keyboards if you
don't mind the highway robbery. Look for the small circular plug with four
pins and one big plastic prong. DON'T BUY THE USB ONES. ;-)

I don't know about OpenBSD, but NetBSD is definitely supported on that model.
Beware, since the SE/30 has 24-bit "dirty" ROMs. My advice is to land a copy
of System 7.1 (or 7.5.3; Apple has that free for download although it will
be a slower boot than 7.1 on that system), wipe the machine, install Mode32
if 7.5.3 doesn't include it already, and then install NetBSD. (NetBSD requires
MacOS to boot.)

The SE/30, second to the Plus, is my favourite Classic Mac because it's
speedy, powerful and small. (I just like the Plus because it was the first
Mac I ever got to play with. And Sam, it plays ZeroGravity great. Thanks
much again. ;-) So you have a good little machine there.

 Cameron Kaiser, Point Loma Nazarene University * ckaiser_at_stockholm.ptloma.edu
-- I may be underpaid, but I underwork just to make it even. ------------------