The DOS 10 Commandments (fwd)

From: Sean 'Captain Napalm' Conner <spc_at_conman.org>
Date: Fri Mar 16 01:55:09 2001

It was thus said that the Great jpero_at_sympatico.ca once stated:

> > DOS being unprotected could crash, usually after the application
> > wiped it from memory like CP/M! Any unprotected OS would be
> > vunerable to being smashed by a runaway app.
>
> Correct. Even I can lock up that Eazy PC with one of own DOS command
> found in that dos directory, remember those / by 0 error in 40
> columns due to quirky V40 cpu in that thing.

  Odd, that actually sounds like the program is jumping through a NULL
long pointer. On the Intel x86 platform, the first interrupt vector is the
Divide by 0 trap, and on the 8086/8088/80186, the vector table resides in
the first 1K of memory, so an address of $0000:0000 (or $00000 depending
upon how you write it) so jumping to that address gives the indication of a
divide by zero exception.

  -spc (Remembers way more than he wants to 8-)