The DOS 10 Commandments (fwd)

From: Sellam Ismail <foo_at_siconic.com>
Date: Fri Mar 16 00:23:03 2001

On Thu, 15 Mar 2001, ajp166 wrote:

> Experience with DOS 3.11 and 5.0 is that for an unprotected OS
> it was fairly solid and not inclined to kill itself. I have two systems
> that live as DOS with uptimes measured in months.

It's all a matter of clean applications. The voicemail/auto-attendant
system (DOS-based) I use at home is one I designed, and there isn't a
single memory leak or null pointer write bug in it. It's completed and
totally debugged and never crashes. It stays up for months, and only gets
disturbed when I take it down to look in logs.

I built automated collect call systems (DOS based) in my previous life and
they were completely debugged as well. The only time the system ever went
down is when we took it down for PM. I think the record was 4 months
running, and it would've been longer but we took it down for PM. This was
a complex application too, doing voice processing, serial communications,
network datagrams over NetBIOS, etc.

DOS has always been solid, as long as your applications were debugged. It
was a good base upon which to build intensive system apps. You surely
can't say the same about Windows.

You can say the same about Linux :) My server has an uptime of 253 days.

Sellam Ismail Vintage Computer Festival