And someone has one... Re: Virus Alert !!!

From: Geoff Roberts <geoffrob_at_stmarks.pp.catholic.edu.au>
Date: Sun Mar 18 20:13:13 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: <jpero_at_sympatico.ca>
To: <classiccmp_at_classiccmp.org>
Sent: Monday, March 19, 2001 5:59 AM
Subject: Re: And someone has one... Re: Virus Alert !!!

> Time to unearth Sarbaru 360's (sounds like revving snowmobile) or any
> fuel-sipping vehicles, even a FI bug, 1100cc bug or diesel bunny.

Or LPG. But that costs a lot to install.

I've just ordered the long put off gasket set to revive my Renault 12
Station Wagon.
Cost me $300 around 5 years ago and I've probably spent about $500 on it
over the years.
Took it off the road once because of a head gasket failure, and the last
time (over a year now) when
the timing chain got a bit slack and jumped a couple of teeth. Replaced
that, but never got around to finishing it
off and putting it all back together. With petrol predicted to hit
AU$1.20 a litre by the end of the year (unless the $ and OPEC do
something significant) its ~30mpg will make it worth registering again.

> :-)

> Newer vehicles (last few years) had MPG go downhill except for
> honda, tercel, echo and few others but aren't interested in honda or
> newer vehicles due to cost.

Ditto.

> Plus, I'm yet to have one so first used
> vehicle has to be reliable and cheap, has manual tranny.

Reasonable approach.

> I'm more
> concerned about able to obtain inexpensive parts which might be n.
> american vehicles.

Can't help on that one, we have local manufacturers here (Ford,
GM(Holden) and Mitubishi (they bought Chrysler Australia) but parts are
not that cheap for any, and they do a lot of rebadging of jap stuff too.
A wrecking yard is the best bet, roughly 50% of the new part price, or
buy a wreck yourself (much cheaper in the long term - but you need
somewhere to put it.)

Cheers

Geoff