IBM 3380 disk drives / info?

From: Bob Brown <bbrown_at_harper.cc.il.us>
Date: Mon Mar 19 09:11:34 2001

3380's were a product of the 80's. There were several different
flavors...the originals came out in the early
80's. They were known as A0's or AA's. or AD's. They were 'single
density'...each hda had two addressable
actuators (one coming out each side)...each actuator addressed about 600MB
of storage.

They later came out with AE's which were double density...then J's and K's
which were trible density.

Did you happen to grab the magnets from the cabinets? VERY powerful
permanent magnets indeed! (very heavy too).

I have a 3380 HDA I saved from my mainframe days...had a MAJOR
headcrash....when I opened up the top to look, the
head that crashed was vaporized!

-Bob