IBM 3380 disk drives / info?

From: Billy D'Augustine <azog_at_azog.org>
Date: Mon Mar 19 09:53:07 2001

I worked in a mainframe shop that replaced their removable media with fixed
drives. One of the stories was how, one day, after they loaded the removable
media, the heads crashed. The guy said it was the neatest thing to actually
watch - the covers were smoked plastic, some sort of noise, then the covers
were suddenly white.