NeXT '040 Cubes

From: r. 'bear' stricklin <red_at_bears.org>
Date: Wed Mar 21 11:15:46 2001

On Wed, 21 Mar 2001 MTPro_at_aol.com wrote:

> << Those are not 'original 1988 boxes'. The original 1988 NeXTcomputer
> had a 25 MHz 68030 board in the backplane. >>
>
> Sorry, I described them poorly. They are indeed original 1988 NeXT
> Cubes, this copyright date is on the cases. I assume that their
> original logic boards were replaced by NASA with the '040 boards.

That did happen. Mine is that way. FWIW I believe the original '030
chassis say "NeXTcomputer" on the back instead of "NeXTcube". Any cube
chassis with milled openings for a 3.5" floppy disk drive is of the latter
classification. I don't think the copyright date changes in either case.

One thing you will want to verify is that the fan pushes air through the
back of the filter on the optical drive, and blows it out the front of the
chassis, rather than the other way around.

I've never run yp on my NeXTs but I'll take a look and see how to
unconfigure it.

ok
r.