10Base5/Thicknet (was Re: SUN networking problems)

From: Ethan Dicks <ethan_dicks_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed Mar 21 11:26:06 2001

--- Pete Turnbull <pete_at_dunnington.u-net.com> wrote:
> On Mar 21, 7:39, Arno Kletzander wrote:
>
> > we're running a *small* network... "Thick Ethernet" (IEEE 802.3)

> If you have shorted it, the best solution is to cut out the damaged part,
> fit an N-series plug to both ends, and put a coupler between them. Or,
> instead of a coupler, a transceiver with N-series connections (which are
> more common and cheaper than vampire taps anyway).

Is there currently a source for the tap part for the older, boxy transceivers
that have removable media bits? I remember reading in the O'Reilly Ethernet
book that it was common to remove the transceiver from the tap and leave the
tap on the Etherhose, presumably to avoid damage and in case someone wanted
a computer at that location again in the future. I have a couple of the
(Cabletron?) units of the same model, one with a vampire tap and one with a
BNC for 10Base2. Worst case, I guess I could make some N-to-BNC thing and use
a 10Base2 transciever. I keep fostering this fantasy of putting up a 10Base5
segment for Histerical Raisins. I have enough old DEC equipment that I'd like
to link together a VS2000 and my 8200 with it, just to show people that there
_was_ networking before UTP. I can make N terminators with no problem. I
have one tap (but no tap drill). The part I really need (and haven't been
looking _too_ hard for) is the cable itself. I figure I'll go looking for it
seriously once I have something to hang off of it.

-ethan

=====
Even though my old e-mail address is no longer going to
vanish, please note my new public address: erd_at_iname.com

The original webpage address is still going away. The
permanent home is: http://penguincentral.com/

See http://ohio.voyager.net/ for details.