NeXT '040 Cubes

From: Pete Turnbull <pete_at_dunnington.u-net.com>
Date: Wed Mar 21 14:32:43 2001

On Mar 21, 10:07, MTPro_at_aol.com wrote:

> << First, put a 50-ohm terminator on that connector, so the NeXT thinks
it is connected to a live (but very small!) network. >>

> Is this something I can pick up at say Radio Shack? Does it looks kind of
like a little metal cap that fits on the coaxial connector?

Yes, it looks just like a BNC plug with either a metal or plastic cap. In
fact, I have a couple that have been made by soldering a 1/4 watt 50-ohm
resistor into an ordinary 50-ohm BNC plug (BNC connectors come in two
types: those with a characteristic impedance of 50 ohms, used for test
equipment, thin Ethernet, etc; and those with a characteristic impedance of
75 ohms, mostly used for TV and video signals).

> "yp: server not responding for domain "sewp" ; still trying."
>
> This will just keep repeating, give a count as to trys, etc. Would a
terminator stop this? Can I bypass it looking for a host?

I don't think this is going to be solved by fitting a terminator, though it
may help a little (by improving the timing!). What you need to do is find
out what it's trying to do that it needs to find a NIS server. Most likely
it's trying to look up a machine name, possibly to mount a remote
filesystem.

Now I haven't had my NeXT very long, so I'm not sure if the relevant files
are quite the same as on the Unix systems I'm more familiar with, and it's
not here to check. But I'd look at the file "/etc/resolv.conf" and see if
there's a line that looks a bit like "hostresorder nis files" or
"hostresorder nis local" -- if there is, change it to "hostresorder local
bind" (or anything to remove the "nis"). That line tells the network
software how to look up name-to-address mappings ("host resolution order").
 the possible options are NIS (Network Information Service), "local" (a
local file containing mappings, called "/etc/hosts"), and BIND (Berkeley
Internet Name Daemon, which is what DNS servers use).

Changing hostresorder will redirect the lookups, and the system may just
stop trying. The real solution, though, is to prevent those lookups that
aren't going to work. If the reason for the lookup is to mount a
filesystem from a remote server's disk(s), the place to look (on a Unix
system, at least) would be /etc/fstab. Remote filesystems are identifiable
as type NFS or by having a server name and a colon ':' prefixing the
filesystem name. Comment those out by prefixing the line with a hash
symbol.

> The other NeXT Cube is indeed a 25MHz 68040 logic board with 48mb of RAM
and a 350mb hard drive. I have given it the command to boot from the hard
drive "bsd -s" and it seems that it begins too by displaying "boot sd
(0,0,0) -s", but then it has an exception error:

> "Exception #2 (0x8) at )x100b9dc"
>
> Is the hard drive bad? Is it just blank or in need of formatting? I
appreciate all of the help.

Possibly not. sd(0,0,0) may not be the correct partition to boot from --
what does the working one do? The numbers are the controller, drive ID,
and partition (section) of the drive to load.

--
Pete						Peter Turnbull
						Network Manager