Club (was Re: pdp 11s to be auctioned at Goddard)

From: Sellam Ismail <foo_at_siconic.com>
Date: Thu Mar 22 18:20:45 2001

On Thu, 22 Mar 2001, Brian Roth wrote:

> I'm in as well. I think the logistics and legalities could be worked
> out. I have space on my Web server I would more than glad to donate
> for the project. I also will be building a very large storage building
> this summer solely for my computers. There will be plenty of space to
> park workstations to mainframes. I live in the Niagara Falls NY area.
> Two hours to Toronto, Two hours to Syracuse.

Just some quick ideas on how this could be expanded:

- A formal "club" is organized with a leadership structure primarily for
  handling the business and finances of the club
- Club maintains checking account/credit card for purchases
- Club maintains account with no frills shipping agency like Forward Air
- Club produces monthly newsletter to inform members of what's going on
  (upcoming auctions, purchases made, club funds, articles, etc).
- Membership dues are required; membership gives you: access to group
  buying power at auctions, ability to use Forward Air account for
  shipping, newsletter

The whole club will be based around the premise of giving members access
to surplus auctions nation (or world) wide. This concept of this club
could be expanded to a more general sense, so that folks who collect other
big things--arcade games, cars maybe, who knows what else (washing
machines?)--can also benefit from the collective. This could actually be
the basis of a profitable business, if there are enough hobbyists and
collectors out there of large things.

Sellam Ismail Vintage Computer Festival