10Base5/Thicknet (was Re: SUN networking problems)

From: Ethan Dicks <ethan_dicks_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri Mar 23 09:44:15 2001

--- Tony Duell <ard_at_p850ug1.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> > Short answer is that I have three boxes now sitting on my desk; digital
> > DESTA, 3Com, and Cabletron, and they use a interchangible TAP that fits in
> > the top of the unit. I have three kinds of TAP between them, a single BNC,
> > a BNC T, and a N T. The TAP fits into the top of the unit making contact
> > via 3 long pins that fit into a board edge header, and get secured via 2
> > screws through the front of the base unit.

Exactly. I have two Cabletron units and have seen DESTAs elsewhere.

> > My guess is that other variations exist, ie a vampire tap, that would be
> > compatible with the lower units.
>
> I have certainly seen vampire taps that fit onto the tranceivers themselves.

I have one of those and a single BNC. I interested in eventually locating
at least one more vampire tap so I can put up that a of Thicknet to show
folks how it _used_ to be done. It's unnecessary from a functional standpoint
(I have lots of 10Base2 and 10BaseT transceivers), so it's ultra-low priority.
I suppose I would be happy with a N-series connector adapater, but in the old
days, I never saw anyone break Etherhose to put on an N-connector, so I
guess I just don't think of that as the "right" way to do it.

Wouldn't mind finding a nest of transceiver cables, though. A bunch of mine
left attached to SPARC2s and SPARC IPXs because the AT&T transceivers I have
a pile of, don't fit up against the case of the Sun boxes (kinda like certain
SCSI cables). It was easier to give up the transceiver cables than find
more tranceivers that fit directly. I have a few, but not as many as I have
tranceivers, by half.

ObHistory: I was suppose to get a nanosecond of 10Base5 cable with a genuine
sticker bearing Grace Hopper's signature from DECUS for getting up and telling
a war story about ignorant users in front of a huge crowd at a symposium in
Anaheim (a reward for a) being willing to speak and b) having a story
interesting enough to be worth telling), but they didn't produce the
goods. :-( They used to sell these things along with coffee mugs, etc.,
as I recall.

-ethan