AAUI

From: Mike Ford <mikeford_at_socal.rr.com>
Date: Sun Mar 25 01:31:09 2001

> Apple can't be blamed for the lack of drivers for various
>cards though. I have used any number of PC PCI boards in my PCI
>Mac's, including USB, Firewire and video boards. The slots
>themselves are compliant with the PCI standard. It's just a matter
>of lacking 3rd party drivers. Creative Labs is releasing a Mac
>version of it's SB Live, NVidia has done Mac versions of it's
>Geoforce boards, 3Dfx did Mac versions of it's Voodoo4 and Voodoo5
>boards just before they went under, and Adaptec has done Mac versions
>of many of it's SCSI boards.

My back still hurts, so I'll keep typing....

Sure I can blame Apple for the lack of drivers, if stinking Apple wrote a
"generic" driver or even published a stable API for its non standard PCI
byte swapped version of PCI then plenty of cards would have worked on the
mac. As it was, ONLY a handfull of often third parties ever bothered to
write a mac driver for a PC PCI card, and mac users paid through the nose
for those items.

Firewire was always an Apple first product, my guess is that some PC
products may have Apple ancestry in the driver code or at least high level
design. Sort of true for USB, except in the PC world about half the cards
meet the open standard that is what Apple drivers recognize, and half don't
and hence won't work with Apple drivers (nobody "really" AFAIK makes a
Apple specific USB driver).

PCI Video cards I follow pretty closely, and MAYBE a total of 10 cards work
with macs, with half of those being somewhat generic PC PCI cards. Not
moving closer to the AGP PC standard was killing Apple video performance,
so maybe the latest macs have better compatibility, I don't know the
details of that however.

Oh happy day, we get the two year old most overpriced PC sound card,
without all the features, finally for the mac.

I have fun with old macs, I currently use a Starmax for daily stuff, but I
am moving to daily PC use because I am sick of browsers on the mac that
don't work. In a word, javascript, love it hate, heck I don't even know
exactly what it is, but it doesn't work on mac browsers and that means many
pages I want to access I can't.

Enough for me, tomorrow, Sun 3/25 is the ACP swapmeet in Santa Ana, CA and
I want to be there at 7 am.