Heath Zenith Hero Jr - No HTML

From: Phil Guerney <guerney_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Mon Mar 26 14:18:08 2001

[Sorry about the last post with HTML turned on - I know that some of the
most helpful people on this list probably would not even read that post, so
I am putting it up again]
====================================

I was amazed to find a local classified ad for a Hero Jr in the Saturday
morning paper and soon after I was owner of a very clean Robot for a few
dollars (about time I had that sort of luck). Unused for many years but just
some cobwebs inside, no corrosion. No charger or remote control or
cartridges or documentation unfortunately, but there is lot of technical
info on the web I have found today.

The old battery will not take a charge using my car [translation - auto]
battery "trickle" charger, so I'll have to wait 'till next week to buy a new
12V 3.5A sealed lead/acid battery - that's how this Australian model was
powered - not like the 6V batteries described on the web pages for the Hero
Jr. And I don't have a 12V PSU to power it up with in the meantime. Am I
using an appropriate re-charging device? And could I use the trickle charger
itself as the PSU for testing? A multimeter reads about 13V across the
terminals when it is powered up, but with my minimal electrical knowledge I
do not dare try something that could be fatal to the Hero.

None of the Web pages mentioned how much this thing cost new (Feb 85
manufacture date I suspect by a sticker on board inside) and I am curious
about that.

If anyone has any warnings or "gotcha's" about working with this thing, I'd
be glad to hear from you. Other than that, I can't wait - from the info on
the web it sounds great fun. And it goes to show, however rare or unusual
the item is - eventually one of them turns up here in Brisbane, Australia.

Phil