MacOS on CD-ROM? (was Re: Mac SE/30)

From: Ethan Dicks <ethan_dicks_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed Mar 28 08:16:36 2001

> This is reason I suggested starting building up a OS on external
> drive via basilisk II emulator...

I've never used Basilisk II, but I have used Mac emulators before with
great success.

> ...new OS 7.0.1 or 6.0.8 (both free) copied over to hard drive HFS image for
> that basilisk II emulator.

I am not looking forward to building a Sears Tower of floppies to install
a new version of the MacOS on an old box. Is it possible to get older
versions on an HFS CD-ROM image? I have all the necessary hardware/software
to use one (Smart & Friendly 2X SCSI burner, Mac burning app, working Macs
on the network).

Is it possible to host the floppy images on, say, a Quadra, and perform an
install over AppleShare? ISTR some sort of recent discussion involving
something of the sort.

Thanks,

-ethan