Crystal Radios (was Re: List spammer ID'd)

From: Ethan Dicks <ethan_dicks_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed Mar 28 08:08:11 2001

--- Pete Turnbull <pete_at_dunnington.u-net.com> wrote:
> On Mar 27, 22:02, Mike Ford wrote:
> > >I'm old, dirts older. When I was in school you were really cool of your
> > >radio had six transistors...
> >
> > Are you sure you weren't trying to impress people with the catwhisker on
> > your crystal set? ;)
>
> Don't be silly. My crystal set had a germanium diode, and I bet Allison's
> did too :-)

So did mine, but my father built a real crystal set in the 1940's. Somewhere,
I have printed instructions on how to build one, down to how to cut a section
of pipe/conduit with ears to screw it down to the block of wood that you use
as the base. Anyone know where to get a hunk of crystal these days? I have
a nephew that will be old enough to build one, soon. I figured on the diode
type, first, then, if he's still interested, show him how they did it when
Grandpa was a kid.

-ethan

-ethan