List spammer ID'd

From: Geoff Roberts <geoffrob_at_stmarks.pp.catholic.edu.au>
Date: Wed Mar 28 17:38:48 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Russ Blakeman" <rhblake_at_bigfoot.com>
To: <classiccmp_at_classiccmp.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2001 4:06 AM
Subject: RE: RE: List spammer ID'd

> Long time since I've heard vacuum tubes referred to as valves...

Stilll common useage in Oz and NZ, and also in England I believe. A
tube is something you put in a tyre
to most people here.
(Except for a Picture Tube - I guess Picture Valve doesn't have quite
the same ring to it)
If a person points to their tv and says "I think the tubes gone." This
is a standard response to a "Whats the problem" question
from a TV Tech by virtually any customer with an old TV. Sometimes they
were even right. Some of the early (K9 and C9
chassis) Philips TV's have a problem where in old age, the tube
fractures around the neck under the yoke, letting air in gradually.
This eventually leads to a lightning display inside the neck when there
is enough air to let the HV electrodes flash over, and often the neck
simple falls off the rest of the tube.
The semi competent techs that used to make a fortune running around
fixing TV's in the pre
solid state era were often known as 'valve jockeys'.

Cheers
Geoff in Oz