Crystal Radios (was Re: List spammer ID'd)

From: Paul Braun <nerdware_at_laidbak.com>
Date: Wed Mar 28 22:50:47 2001

But if you REALLY want to do it right, you wind your own coil on a
shellacked oatmeal box.....or, a shellacked salt box.

All of mine used a germanium diode and a prewound coil, so there.
I'll shut up now.

Paul

> From: Tony Duell <ard_at_p850ug1.demon.co.uk>
> >I read somewhere that a piece of coke (the fuel, not the drug, OK
> >:-)) was used by POWs in the second world war as a detector. Using
> >much the same cats whisker arangement as with the galena crystal.
> >Might be worth
> >try.
>

> I will work but you want to find a peice that has really been fired
> and has a bit of rainbow color to it. IT's the contaminating oxides
> and all that makes it work though germainium is better.
>
> >I would recomend getting the set working with a germanium diode
> >first. Then, when you know the coil, tuning capacitor, headphones,
> >aerial, earth, etc are OK, try the home-made detector.
>

> Good way to go.
>
> Allison

Paul Braun WD9GCO
Cygnus Productions
nerdware_nospam_at_laidbak.com

"A computer without a Microsoft operating system is like a dog without a bunch of bricks tied to its head."