Ram Hogging (was Re: Apple LWPro parallel port?)

From: Jim Strickland <jim_at_calico.litterbox.com>
Date: Thu Mar 29 16:53:26 2001

<shameless plug>

Want a real modern OS that runs on anything above pentium 60 and does
useful work in 32 megs of RAM? check out BeOS
www.gobe.com

</shameless plug>

> >>Windows XP is coming out soon... But already in the tech news they are
> >>talking about how fast your computer must be and the least amount of RAM
> >>required...
> >>(P2-300 with 128MB RAM!) Which is *ALWAYS* understated...
> >
> >Don't the people involved in software development see the senselessness in
> >this? 128 MB RAM for a bloody operating system!?
>
> Outrageous, that must be what, $25 retail of ram they are wasting.

The point is it's a symptom of very sloppy programming to use that much RAM.
Given that, it suggests it won't be very stable, either. Microsoft has proven
with every OS since the birth of Windows that they are incapable of producing a
stable, efficient, well designed OS. Even WinCE apparently crashes frequently.
I use BeOS as my stability benchmark, and it only goes down when:

1. I shut it down.
2. Power Outages.
3. I get a misbehaving app that consumes my system resources and I shut
    it down.
4. Hardware death.

I gave up on win95 2 years ago and while I miss the plethora of apps, I'll
never willingly go back. BeOS has most of the apps I actually *use*.

--
Jim Strickland
jim_at_DIESPAMMERSCUMcalico.litterbox.com