D connector tirade (was: Re: Age-old ethernet equipment)

From: Richard Erlacher <edick_at_idcomm.com>
Date: Fri Mar 30 09:24:03 2001

The origitnal concept underlying this designiation scheme was based on the
notion that you had the 'D' for the shape, the <A..D> for the shell sizes that
were in use at the time, 'E' and beyond coming later. and a number for the
number of POPULATED pin locations.

This notion didn't catch on, however, and I think few of us will remember
references to DB3 or the like, DB3 being the 'B' shell with pins 2, 3, and 7
populated, though that was a common configuration. I remember looking for such
references and really can't say I ever ran in to any. I do remember the
description in a parts catalog, however, though I don't remember whether it was
CANNON or APHENOL, or what.

If people would use this method, it would be quite clear, however.

Dick