Apple LWPro parallel port?

From: jpero_at_sympatico.ca <(jpero_at_sympatico.ca)>
Date: Sat Mar 31 13:02:21 2001

> From: Jim Strickland <jim_at_calico.litterbox.com>
> Subject: Re: Apple LWPro parallel port?
> To: classiccmp_at_classiccmp.org
> Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 15:28:57 -0700 (MST)

> > If 128M is indeed the recommendation, it's not just for
> > the OS, it's a recommended amount - and nothing more.
> > It may be there just to sell memory.

No no... wasn't it, if this OS min 128MB is required, count on it to
work best at 256M or more, that is my experience on this.

> The thing is, Microsoft's memory recommendations tend to be the minimum the
> OS will function correctly. Remember the minimum requirements for win95 were
> a 386sx16 and 4 megs of ram. I'm told it will *boot* in that, if you're
> patient. But do useful work? Ha.

Snort, Correct, But behind that, M$ hopes they could snare hapless
buyers with their crap and amirably succeeded. That's very minimum
specs, I find Pentium 100 or 486DX4 w/ 48MB is about right for win95
to run software apps acceptably, best chipset and cache is a must.
That was same specs I had on mine for 2 years before I moved up to
PII 350 /w 64MB couple yr ago, now retired very recently for duron
800, new GeForce2 MX and win98, this time wasn't OS, it was one of my
game demanded that move and prices was right.

Btw: that minimum specs for win95 is also not enough for win311, it
likes 8 or 16MB, 386DX 25 w/ good cache required or so even better
486, external cache optional. 386sx is a bogus!! Yet it works but
bogus would-be 386dx shackled to a updated 286 design chipsets.
Very rare 386sx boards has cache that made all the difference but
still, that memory bandwidth plus 386sx was designed around slow
memory timings, both took serious hits on overall performance.

I tried to do this on a 386sx notebook has 2 way 4K cache, 10MB ram
running X on linux couple of years ago and 486slc2 50 (cyrix) on
win95. Both crawled and would crash n' burn often, everything solved
upgrading to real straight and through 32bitness designs like 386dx
or 486 and up.

This is not only ones, many makers of all kinds including sun, apple
turned out few weirdo boxens with too many corners cut. Examples:
Apple's 6100 series and few of their models as well. When I throught
having ppc motherboard to swap that 610's board with this is ultra
cool and on the cheap till I found out having video card is required
to get good performance on 6100's. Bah!!

Bad news I have couple 610's none other motherboards is designed to
fit in those cases other than 6100 or 610 boards.

Cheers,

Wizard